to know everything about ...
Severe lumbar sprain
What is a
severe lumbar sprain ??
The most common diagnosis is sudden low back pain which may be accompanied by a feeling of cracking or tearing. This is in fact the famous "kidney tower" which is often used in everyday language.
A strain or tears
It is caused by a strain or microscopic tears in the muscles and / or ligaments of the back, following a sudden or repeated stretching.
Muscles are the first line of defense in protecting the back, so they are often the first to be involved.
The ligaments in this region have an important role in maintaining the stability of the spine.
He may have inflammation in the area as well as muscle spasms.
Lower back pain
May be manifested by stiffness in the lower back or severe lower back pain which may radiate to the buttock, thigh and leg.
For severe lumbar sprain
- Muscle and / or ligament stretches.
- Muscle contraction during uncontrolled movement
- Direct trauma to the back (contusion or strain)
- Fall with or without protection
- Sudden and / or repeated intense effort
- Prolonged poor posture
- Often a history of low back pain
- Underlying conditions affecting the back (ex: spondylolysthesis)
- Back surgeries in the past.
From a lumbar sprain
Prognosis in case of lumbar sprain
- If it is a muscle sprain minor, uncomplicated, 2 to 3 days of rest and ice cream may be sufficient to relieve symptoms.
- If the pain persists, possibility of ligament or joint involvement or more serious problems. A major muscle sprain can last at least 6 weeks and have sequelae if it is not treated properly and quickly.
- In both cases, the cause of the sprain must be determined in order to avoid recurrence and spinal degeneration processes associated with structural imbalance.
Complementary therapies such as neurocryotherapy and kinesio taping.
Muscle therapy (Active Release Techniques and Graston)
Surgery as needed to stabilize the area
If you develop numbness or weakness in your lower extremities, see your chiropractor immediately.
And to finish...
Maintain your posture as appropriate as possible to minimize stress and strain on your spine.
Put a pillow between the knees when you are on your side or under the knees when you are on your back.
Good sitting postures if you have a lumbar sprain
Techniques for lifting loads
Our Chiropractors are here to help you
Benefit from a free first meeting with your chiropractor in Laval without delay