- A scoliosis consists of a deviation of the spine. Few have a perfectly straight column, and one should not be concerned. On the other hand, if the deviation is too great, it is called scoliosis.
- A minor scoliosis can be caused by major muscle spasms.
- The majority of scoliosis affects especially young girls at the age of puberty. Indeed, it is during growth that the majority of scoliosis develops, for a reason that is still unknown.
- Scoliosis is not a disease, it is rather a malformation of the spine.
Effects of Scoliosis
For most people, the symptoms are not very pronounced and may go unnoticed. However, even mild scoliosis can cause abnormalities in the function of the spinal nerves, discs, vertebrae and ligaments that should be examined by the chiropractor.
Symptoms may include: abnormal posture, postural fatigue (feeling tired while standing or sitting, etc.), problems with balance or muscles, breathing problems, digestive problems, heart problems and neck or back pain .
- Variable according to the amplitude of the scoliosis and the moment of its discovery.
- Orthopedic Support
- Muscle Stimulation
- Vertebral manipulation and soft tissue work (Active Release Techniques and Graston)
- Kinesio Taping
- Surgery if too important.
What can chiropractic do?
Proper treatment of any condition requires treatment of the cause and not just the symptoms. Your chiropractor has undergone unique training to diagnose scoliosis and can control, reduce or correct anomalies.
It will examine your entire health history and perform physical exams to find the column problems.
Care may include adjustments to the column as well as stretches and corrective exercises.
Early detection and regular examinations are the best way to achieve effective results.
Studies show that chiropractic is an effective and safe way to treat idiopathic scoliosis without the use of drugs or surgery.
If scoliosis is detected at puberty, rapid intervention may slow down and limit its progression. Hence the importance of having her child examined at birth and during growth.
It should be noted that it is not necessary to be straight as a picket to have a healthy back, the important is the mobility of this back.